The Department of Chemical and Systems Biology admits Ph.D. students through the Stanford Biosciences Program, which spans the Schools of Medicine and Humanities & Sciences.
All applicants are required to use Stanford’s online application. The Stanford Biosciences website also provides information on specific training programs and the admissions process.
Autumn 2017 Ph.D. applications, including supporting documents, must be received by December 1, 2016.
- U.S. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (foreign transcripts must be certified)
- Application fee of $125 (non-refundable)
- Graduate application
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts. Unofficial transcripts from all universities and colleges you attended for one year or more must be uploaded to the online application. In addition, two official transcripts should be mailed directly to the Biosciences Admissions Office. Official transcripts are not required for the December 1 deadline.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test score
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test score (required for non-native English speakers)
General Admissions Information
The Stanford Biosciences Admissions Office, not the Department of Chemical and Systems Biology, processes applications for the Ph.D. program. All materials should be uploaded electronically to the online application. Please arrange to have official transcripts mailed directly to the Biosciences Admission Office:
Biosciences Admissions Office
1265 Welch Road, MSOB X1C12
Stanford, CA 94305-5421
Certified electronic transcripts or other official electronic application materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Review and Interview Process
After the submission deadline, the Admissions Committee for the Department of Chemical and Systems Biology will select candidates to attend a three-day interview weekend scheduled for March 1 – March 4, 2017. For international students who are unable to attend, a phone or Skype interview can be scheduled with the committee. Please note that the Biosciences Admissions Office will be closed December 21, 2016 through January 3, 2017.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to frequently asked questions about graduate admissions and student life can be found on this FAQ page. Additional inquiries can be directed to:
Department of Chemical and Systems Biology
Stanford University School of Medicine
269 Campus Drive, CCSR 4155
Stanford, CA 94305-5174